This article is part of the main article: Indian Cooking Course – 2019, in Szentendre, Hungary
Veggie Pulav recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 min
Things you need (2 person):
2 cups of basmati rice
2 tablespoons Ghee or oil
few Bay Leaves
1 Star Anise
4 Whole Cardamom
1 inch piece Cinnamon Stick
1 large Onion, sliced or chopped
2-4 garlic cloves
1 cup chopped Carrots
3/4 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder or Paprika
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- Wash and rinse the basmati rice. I like the rice to be dry before you start cooking it.
- Chop onions and garlic and fry it in a pan with anise, cardamon, cloves, cinnamon. I usually prefer to make pulav in ghee (but oil is fine too).
3. Once the onion turns a bit brown, you can add a chili/paprika for flavor and spice. Please add the rice and saute it for a few minutes.
4. Once the rice becomes translucent add the veggies and saute it for a few minutes and then add water (twice as much as the rice) and let the water/rice come to boil before covering the pan and cooking it on a reduced flame.
5. Please let the rice cook. Once it is almost cooked, please keep the cover on and turn the flame off and let the rice sit for few minutes. Its time to eat – you can serve the pulav with daal or other curries. Enjoy!